Registrant Name Change
What is a Domain Name Registrant?
The Domain Name Registrant is the legal holder/owner of a domain name registration. The Registrant's name can be found in the domain name order form.
What is a Registrant Transfer/Registrant Name Change?
The process of changing a legal holder/owner of a domain name registration is called a Registrant Name Change (RNC). You will have to complete a RNC if you want to sell a domain name or have a different person/company registered as the holder/owner of the domain name.
Who owns my domain?
When you register a domain name with DomainPeople, the person/company listed as a Registrant is considered the only legal holder/owner of the domain name for the duration of the current registration term.
How do I sell/give/transfer my domain name?
In order to change the owner of a domain name you need to complete a Registrant Transfer. DomainPeople has an easy automated Registrant Transfer system (for all extensions except .CA, .US, .DE, and .PRO) and you can use it through your One Click Domain Manager. The new Registrant must have (or must create) a DomainPeople customer account to receive the domain.
How do I change a Registrant for .CA, .DE, .EU, .US, and PRO domains?
In order to change the owner (Registrant) of a domain name (.CA, .DE, .EU, .US, and .PRO) you need to download and fill in the Registrant Change Application Form. The form must be notarized and then mailed or couriered to us at the following address, along with the USD $35 fee:
Attn: Registrant Name Change Department
200 - 550 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC, V6C 2B5
Why am I charged for the .CA, .US, .DE, .EU, and .PRO Registrant Transfer?
The fee of USD $35 will be collected from each .CA, .US, .DE, .EU, .PRO Registrant Transfer. This fee applies to the mentioned domain extensions because DomainPeople is either charged for each Registrant Transfer transaction by Registries operating those domain extensions, and/or there are additional administrative procedures involved.
How do I use the DomainPeople's Registrant Transfer automated system?
In order to proceed with a domain name Registrant Transfer you need to:
Steps for the present owner:
- Login to your DomainPeople Account Manager and click Domains and then Ownership Change, Change Owner.
- Enter the following new Registrant contact information on the Account Change form: First name, Last name, Organization, Address 1, Address 2, City, Province/State, Postal/ZIP Code, Country, E-mail, Phone and Fax.
- Check the following boxes: [I certify that the organization specified above will be the new legal Registrant of this domain name.]
- [I have read the Registrant Name Change Agreement and agree to its terms for all selected domain names.]
- You will see a confirmation, that your request has been made. Your request will be in the Pending Account Changes report until the new owner accepts the ownership of the domain. You will receive a confirmation once the new owner completes the transaction.
Steps for the new owner:
- New Registrant will receive an email with instructions on how to complete the transfer, along with a Transaction ID and Security Code.
- Login to your DomainPeople Account Manager. (you must create it if you don't have one yet)
- Click Domains and then Ownership Change, Accept Changes.
- Enter the Transaction ID and Security Code (found in the notification e-mail from DomainPeople).
- Accept the terms of The Transfer and The Registration Agreements.
- Click an Accept Change button.
- You will be presented with a confirmation page that lists your contact info for revision.
- A confirmation email with the new contact info and new domain password will be sent to the new Registrant.
Note: If the process is not completed within 7 days, the request is cancelled and an email is sent to both parties.
How long does it take to transfer the ownership of a domain to a different Registrant?
If you use our automated system (for all domains except .CA .EU .US .DE and .pro), the transaction is complete as soon as the old Registrant confirms the transfer and the New Registrant accepts it.
If you are using our Registrant Change Application Form (.CA .EU .US .DE and .pro), it takes 24 to 48 hours after receiving your form.
What should I do if I made a mistake in my Registrant Change Application Form?
Please contact our Support Department and we will provide you with the Correction Form and further instructions.